The actual transactional concerns that online purchasers possess have become quite aparrent thanks to our recent e-commerce survey. Our findings show that many share the same concerns and that each user can relate to more than one concern at a time. It is first of all worth pointing out that 16% of those surveyed had no concerns at all (or would that be better put that 84% of people HAD concerns about buying online).
Leading the line, 69% of all those surveyed thought that ‘Fraud and Identity Theft’ was a concern they held about buying online. This could also be read as: Of those who held any concern about buying online, 83% marked Fraud and Identity Theft as one of those concerns. Either way you look at this, being able to overcome this fear must be a huge ‘concern’ for anyone looking to make a serious business out of an online shop.
This was the most popular, but by no means only concern held in our survey (and remember someone can have more than one). 53% of those questioned flagged a ‘Non Secure Website’ as being a concern they had about buying online (again that statistic is 63% of people who held any concern about buying online thought this element was one worth mentioning). These figures are eluding to the fact that more than half of everyone that could potentially buy from you are looking to see if you have a secure website, perhaps something to keep in mind when considering hastily mocking up a cheap alternative?
35% of people (42% of concern holders) hold a concern over the shop actually existing other than simply online. Is this a clue that the more company/premises details you can provide for your customers on your ecommerce website will result in a higher trust factor and hopefully more transactions.
Virus and Phishing concerns 31% of all those polled (37% of concern holders). This can be combated by having a clear and concise level of data that you take from the user and making sure you are taking the best steps towards security patches on your website. Sending them to a third party like paypal for the transaction (or a secure domain https://) tends to eradicate the owners specific liability, but does the end user always know why they are being sent away? Find out below…
13% of everyone (15% of concern holders) had ‘other’ concerns about buying online. These were mainly about their information being misused for spam and unwanted contact and also just a lack of other contact details for the company to make a complaint or phonecall.
Awareness of Security
73% of people in this survey look for something that tells the user that the online shop is secure. Let’s call them ‘Seekers’ and the remaining 27% who don’t look for something that tells them an online shop is secure ‘Non-Seekers’. These Seekers were further broken down into different elements and it was surprising to see the different opinions that people held about what elements made the website look secure. Here we’ll try to run through the different answers we got and any of those which popped up with any regularity.
First up, there was a free text box for our respondents to tell us the things they look for, so one Seeker could flag up more than one ‘thing’.
One third of all Seekers (33%) said that they look for ‘The padlock’ to tell them that an e-commerce website is secure. This would lead any online shop owner to the conclusion that having this element was worthwhile.
With a generally professional look or feel to the website being something that 13% of Seekers sought, it would seem that a lot of these fears of lack of security of a website can be overcome (or existing security reinforced) by taking the time to visually reassure customers that they are in a safe place to transact, especially when 18% of Seekers look for something as vague as ‘Secure Logo’s’ to let them know the website is secure.
Surprisingly, 16% of Seekers actually look to see if the domain changes from ‘http://www.example.com’ to ‘https://www.example.com’ specifically to see the ‘https’ element present in order to denote security, a rather savvy bunch. 13% actually flagged a 3rd party payment location (mostly mentioning Paypal) as something they look for in a website as an indication of security.
Third Party Payments
So the whole aspect of sending your users to a third party payment site seems to be a pretty good way of keeping their confidential information away from the baddies. Exactly half of those surveyed (50%) would have an increased trust in a site that sent them to a third party payment place, 39% would say the trust level would stay the same and 11% would decrease the trust in the website by being sent to a third party. It’s worthwhile maybe explaining to the 11% why this is happening to keep them at ease, but ultimately, 89% would either not care about being sent there or even like you more for it. Go on, get a payment gateway and let them worry about the security of sensitive information.