What’s Changed? Facebook Timeline Features

No Comments

The new timeline interface for Facebook has been received with mixed reviews as these kind of changes usually are it’s been met with a mixture of both discourse, curiosity and dislike. Many have speculated what the motivation behind the scenes at Facebook HQ could have been with many citing increased competition from Google + and changes to Twitter as the main catalyst. Although, Facebook is by no means being overtaken in it’s social media domination as the big player with over 800 million active users I can’t see that happening any time soon. In comparison Twitter has reported 100 million active users although research has shown that only 40% of them actually Tweet, the other 60% just read the tweets or use Twitter mainly as an information source for news stories etc…

At the moment personal profiles that have not manually chosen to move to timeline still have the original wall layout, not for much longer. As Facebook is rolling timeline out to all profiles within the next few weeks.

Just to recap as there has been so many changes within Facebook over the past few months below are some of the main changes that you will have noticed.

Improvements in Photos

Uploading images to Facebook is now meant to be bigger and faster loading then ever with more emphasis being paid to images in the news feed and profile pages. You now view images in the new lightbox which Facebook says is to provide a ‘richer image viewing experience’ without having to go to a new page. The new higher resolution Facebook images are eight times bigger than before

Cover Picture

When you get the new Facebook timeline instead of a small images to the left of your wall you will now have a cover image (840px by 310px). This is a great space to show off whether it’s your creativity, photography skills, your website/blog or just that epic picture you took on holiday last year.

Facebook Ticker

This has definitely been one change that has cause some of the most controversy many, dislike it and some have hidden it from their news feeds. The Facebook ticker is a real time record of all your Facebook friends activity whereas before you would have seen mainly your interactions with just your friends and vice versa now more of your activity than ever will be shared. Whether you want it to be or not.

Now if you for instance comment on a friends status one of your connections will be able to view it too even if they are not friends with the person who originally posted the update. Hopefully you understand that!

The Subscribe Button

The subscribe button (you will see this on your profile page) allows people to get your updates without actually being friends with you. You are in charge of which updates are viewable to those just subscribed to you and not friends with you. Those who are subscribed to you will be able to see the updates that you have marked as ‘public’.

When you turn on the subscribe button everything that you have posted automatically defaults to be shown only to friends. You can then decide which of your posts you wish to customise their visibility to public, these updates will now be visible to your subscribers.

This is author biographical info, that can be used to tell more about you, your iterests, background and experience. You can change it on Admin > Users > Your Profile > Biographical Info page."

About us and this blog

We are a digital marketing company with a focus on helping our customers achieve great results across several key areas.

Request a free quote

We offer professional SEO services that help websites increase their organic search score drastically in order to compete for the highest rankings even when it comes to highly competitive keywords.

Subscribe to our newsletter!

Fields marked with an * are required

More from our blog

See all posts